While on the toilet in her Spanish home, Iris Castroverde heard some “odd splashing”, and then was bitten on her bottom.
A 30-year-old woman living in Narón, in the province of La Coruña, received the fright of her life on Sunday evening when an innocent visit to the toilet ended in her being bitten by a snake.
It seems that the animal had somehow entered her first-floor apartment via the plumbing pipes, and despite the shock the snakebite victim had the presence of mind to call the emergency services immediately. She received treatment for the bite on her left buttock in the Hospital Arquitecto Marcide in Ferrol, while the snake made its way back into the plumbing system.
Not being a snake expert, the young woman was unable to identify her attacker except to report that it was green and yellow, and this leads the local wildlife recovery centre staff to believe that it probably belongs to an exotic species.
(These pictures are for illustration only. We suspect Iris Castroverde was too busy to photograph the event.)