Online petition against slavery in Uzbekistan
This time I want to show an online petition (by walk free) the result, they have made a video:
Of course you can support further this onlinepetition and protestphotoaction!
Daewoo has continued doing business in Uzbekistan even after publicly acknowledging that the Uzbek government uses forced labour to produce the cotton it buys and processes.
The Petition call on south korea company Daewoo to send a strong message to the Uzbek government that forced labour cannot continue by:
- stopping operations in Uzbekistan until the International Labour Organization has verified this practice has ended.
- publicly pledging its opposition to the Uzbek government’s forced labour system
(text from walk free)
Here is the onlinepetition from walkfree again:
And a similar action by anti-slavery.org:
There are already came to some deaths.
Here’s how you can take part with photos:
- Find an old cotton item around the house that you no longer need -- it could be a T-shirt, a pillow case, a towel -- or any other everyday item that contains cotton.
- Add your message. You could write your own message with pen, or arrange these items in the shape of an image -- use your imagination! If you’re struggling to know what to write, why not keep it simple -- something like ‘Slavery still exists in Uzbekistan’ or ‘Daewoo profits from forced labour in Uzbekistan’.
- Take a picture of your cotton creation (even better if you are in the photo!) and share it on Facebook or Twitter, remembering to include the phrase #EndCottonSlavery. If you are not on Facebook or Twitter please email your photo to Jayde@walkfree.org
We’ll use these photos on Facebook and Twitter to encourage even more people to add their name to this petition!
We know you care about this issue -- as we get ready to meet Daewoo it’s vital we keep up the momentum and use new, creative ways to pressure the company to use its influence in Uzbekistan to help end forced labour in the cotton fields there.
Please take action!
Patrick Steinhuber-94496 Ortenburg - Germany