Cyprus: deposits over 100.000 wiped out
by homment | 25.03.2013 | Views: 969
- Laiki will be resolved immediately - with full contribution of equity shareholders, bond holders and uninsured depositors - based on a decision by the Central Bank of Cyprus, using the newly adopted Bank Resolution Framework.
- Laiki will be split into a good bank and a bad bank. The bad bank will be run down over time.
- The good bank will be folded into Bank of Cyprus (BoC), using the Bank Resolution Framework, after having heard the Boards of Directors of BoC and Laiki. It will take 9 billion Euros of ELA with it. Only uninsured deposits in BoC will remain frozen until recapitalization has been effected, and may subsequently be subject to appropriate conditions.
- The Governing Council of the ECB will provide liquidity to the BoC in line with applicable rules.
- BoC will be recapitalized through a deposit/equity conversion of uninsured deposits with full contribution of equity shareholders and bond holders.
- The conversion will be such that a capital ratio of 9 % is secured by the end of the program.
- All insured depositors in all banks will be fully protected in accordance with the relevant EU legislation.
- The program money (up to 10 billion Euros) will not be used to recapitalize Laiki and Bank of Cyprus.